We are fast approaching the end of another week. In my Blog on February 26th I spoke about having a weekly aim of starting and completing at least one new work; not necessarily the same one. I followed up that Blog on Monday (27th February) by showing four new ‘starts’ for the week ahead. Out of those four beginnings I have managed to achieve one completion and one Work In Progress (WIP). I have also continued to doodle and sketch away with new ideas for other works of art; some will be progressed into the project folder then developed on, and some will remain in the depths of either my sketchbook or journal.
I believe I mentioned in Monday’s post that I awoke with this image in my head and made a quick sketch of it in my journal. So much for me keeping a journal for words only! From there I sketched out then coloured, using watercolour pencils, it. Once I was happy with the composition and colour choices I moved onto mapping it out on a 16×12 inch canvas with a tonal wash of Burnt Sienna acrylic paint. On Thursday I started applying the first layer of paint using Daler Rowney System 3 Heavy Body acrylic paint. Palette used was Titanium White, Coeruleum Blue, Ultramarine, Cadmium Red, Burnt Umber, Yellow Ochre, Process Black and Reeves Gold acrylic. I used a variety of palette knives to paint this one and a round no. 8 brush for some finer detail. A flat brush was used to paint the sides of the canvas. I am not a lover of leaving edges unpainted, even if they are to be framed. I worked on this one over two days and completed it yesterday (Friday).
And that is my week so far.